I've been going to an specific OB office so that I could have my pregnancy co-managed by the midwives and doctors there. The OB who delivered Pepper was awful, and I've had my heart set on going through this pregnancy and delivery with a midwife. Due to my Type 1 Diabetes, my pregnancy is automatically considered high risk, and midwives aren't certified to be primary care givers in high risk pregnancies... but I asked and was assured numerous times that they could co-manage my pregnancy with the OBs in their office, and that yes, the baby could be delivered by a midwife (as long as there weren't any major complications).
At my 20 week checkup last Friday, however, the OB I met with said that the OBs discussed my case and that the malpractice insurance they carry won't allow me to continue seeing midwives. Hearing that news was upsetting to say the least. I've done everything I could to make sure this labor and delivery is different (BETTER) than the last one. I've changed doctors, hospitals, insurance-- the most important decision to me has been who is going to deliver our little boy. Despite all of my planning, despite all of the constant care and attention I give this pregnancy and my diabetes, apparently I don't have the right or permission to choose the person I want to deliver my baby.
I've been meticulous about my blood sugars during this pregnancy, my #1 motivation being the health of the baby. My #2 motivation is that it bothers me that I'm automatically considered 'high risk' just because I'm diabetic. I know that may seem stupid or silly, but I take pride in the fact that I am not your average diabetic, and I don't like being automatically categorized as high risk when I am 100% capable of having a perfectly normal and healthy pregnancy. I proved that to be true during my pregnancy with Pepper, and am healthily on my way to doing it again. Since November 2008 I've kept my hemaglobin A1C under 6%, most recently being 5.4%--the same that someone without diabetes might have. I have a wonderful endocrinologist , Dr. Day, who I see every 3 weeks when I'm pregnant. He is a great doctor who I have a lot of respect for, and I actually like going to see him. He is one of the few people in my life who really understands the constant care it takes on my part to keep my A1C low. He is quick to give praise, and it makes my week to hear him say, "That's the lowest A1C I've seen all day!"
As much as I value Dr. Day's opinion and input, I am the one who lives with this disease and I make the decision everyday to take care of myself. The most caring, encouraging, wonderful endocrinologists can't make a bit of difference if the patient isn't committed to taking care of themselves. My low A1Cs are a result of my own very careful, daily management. In my mind, I thought it made sense that if my A1C was low enough my OB would see that and take that into consideration when deciding whether to allow me to see a midwife. It frustrates me to no end that despite taking care of myself so well that it's almost like I don't even have diabetes, I am still automatically high risk and am not allowed to see a midwife. I have no say in the matter. Because there's nothing I can do about it, I'll just have to get over it. I am very grateful to be as healthy as I am, and I recognize that the health of the baby is priority over everything.
3 comments:
I'm sorry Teneill, I was shocked when I learned that I had accidentally chosen one of the ONLY hospitals in Utah to allow women to attempt a V-bac delievery. If I'd gone to a different practice and a different hospital I would have had to have had another c-section. I sure hope it goes well, and I think you'll find the Lord has a hand in it. Love you (see you soon!)
That really is a bummer!! I totally agree, I got really lucky with Anna and the Dr. was GREAT, With adiline I was dreading the delivery, because I really hated the dr. I was seeing, and then the lord blessed me with an Angel on delivery day. If our insurance covered a doula or midwife I would totally go that route also. You might ask if they have doulas, they are kind of like midwives but they don't deliver. So they would be with you the entire time until they need to call the dr. There are only a few hospitals out here that have them. You are awesome! I totally look up to you in every way!!
I am so sorry that this decision was taken out of your hands. But, being you, you will thrive and still do amazing...even though it's not the decision you would have made.
It's sad that because of the way the system is and because of all the malpractice lawsuits out there that doctors feel like they have to make decisions like this. Unfortunately, in this day and age, doctors have to "cover their butts" because otherwise they can lose their practice and/or livelyhood over lawsuits. I did billing for an ob office and the doctors were SO cautious and were even a bit extreme with that caution because of the chances of something going wrong with either mother or baby. Also, a lot of times, the malpractice insurance they have dictates certain decisions for them. Hang in there.
Post a Comment